Sr. Cell Development Engineer
Sion Power Corporation, located in Tucson, AZ, is the leading developer of high-energy rechargeable, lithium metal battery technology with more than 20 years in research and development. Years of research and development has yielded the Licerion® lithium metal technology which is poised to dramatically change the lithium battery landscape, delivering the highest combination of energy density and specific energy available.
This position will be developing next generation cells for high energy and high power applications as a key member of R&D. The successful applicant will develop, validate and commercialize the innovative cell based on state-of-the-art commercial and proprietary materials. The responsibilities of this position will be covering cell design, analysis, validation and support for product launch.
· Plan, design, develop and validate the material components and product as well as create the specifications for lithium rechargeable cell.
· Experience with concept, design, and product validation (CV, DV, and PV) as part of a product development environment
· Select, characterize, and validate materials and components (cathode, anode, electrolytes, separator etc.) of lithium rechargeable cell
· Design and Optimize Electrode including formulation and characterization.
· Plan, develop and execute Design of Experiments for fabrication and testing of lithium rechargeable cells.
· Analyze the data and execute root-cause analysis of failures and develop the mitigation action based on understanding of Failure Mode Effects Analysis (DFMEA, PFMEA)
· Develop and create comprehensive technical specifications, drawing and report
· Provide engineering support to cell manufacturing teams in order to resolve manufacturing quality issues.
- Collaborate with Supplier Chain in their communication with material suppliers, related to the development and validation of detailed material specifications for new materials, and the resolution of any quality issues
· Assist with engineering-level test builds together with quality and operations personnel at manufacturing facilities.
- MS or PhD in Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Materials &, Chemical Engineering, or related field. PhD preferred.
- At least five years of industrial experience in the lithium rechargeable cells field
- Self-starting, highly taking responsibility for project improvement
- Demonstrated expertise and success in design and development of components, assemblies and formation for lithium rechargeable cells
- Hands-on experience with developing technical specifications for components, assemblies, DFMEA and 8D
- High knowledge of material of lithium rechargeable cells such as active material, binder, separator and electrolyte and so on.
- Demonstrated experience with electrochemical characterization e.g. cyclic voltammetry, impedance spectroscopy, cycle life testing, and abuse testing
- Familiarity with statistical analysis and Design of Experiments (Minitab) preferred