Sr. Cell Material Engineer - Electrolyte
Sion Power Corporation, located in Tucson, AZ, is the leading developer of high-energy rechargeable, lithium metal battery technology with more than 20 years in research and development. Years of research and development has yielded the Licerion® lithium metal technology which is poised to dramatically change the lithium battery landscape, delivering the highest combination of energy density and specific energy available.
This position will be responsible for optimization and development of various electrolyte and anode for use in high performance Li rechargeable batteries. This is a highly cross-functional role and will require working with various teams and creative thinking to solve the problem from the different angle.
- Work with electrolyte scientist to identify short and long term roadmap for achieving high performance and cost reduction for Li metal battery
- Plan and conduct design of experiments to screen and develop the promising electrolyte material candidates and use statistical tools for data analysis
- Optimize the electrolyte formulation to meet the customer requirement for EV application
- Design the advanced electrolyte formulations for various cathodes material to achieve cell performance targets
- Investigate the several types of electrolytes to provide technical assessment for use in the EV application working closely with electrolyte scientist group
- Investigate interphase mechanism for the reaction of lithium metal with electrolyte for advanced anode
- Plan and execute root cause analysis of failures incurred over course of development and launch
- Create reports, comprehensive technical specifications and DFMEA for electrolyte
- Collaborate with Supplier Quality team in their communication with material suppliers, related to the development and validation of detailed material specifications for new materials, and the resolution of any quality issues
Education/Experience /Specific Skills/
- MS or PhD in Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Materials &, Chemical Engineering, or related field.
- At least 5+ years of industrial experience in the lithium rechargeable cells field, electrolyte development
- Demonstrate deep knowledge in the mechanism of interphase between liquid and solid phase
- Good understanding of potential failure mechanisms in battery cells
- Hands on experience in formulation and property evaluation of electrolytes as well as deep understanding electrochemical analysis and evaluation
- Familiarity with statistical analysis including DFSS and Design of Experiments (Minitab) preferred
- Competency in the DFMEA process. Working experience with Quality & Reliability disciplines (APQP, 8D)