Cell Design Engineer
Sion Power Corporation, located in Tucson, AZ, is the leading developer of high-energy rechargeable, lithium metal battery technology with more than 20 years in research and development. Years of research and development has yielded the Licerion® lithium metal technology which is poised to dramatically change the lithium battery landscape, delivering the highest combination of energy density and specific energy available.
This position will be developing next generation cells with advanced material for EV applications as a key member of R&D. The successful applicant will develop, validate and commercialize the innovative cell based on state-of-the-art commercial and proprietary materials. The responsibilities of this position will be covering cell design, analysis, material development and support for product launch.
- Plan and execute development of the cell product and electrode with DFM (Design for manufacturing)
- Select, characterize, and validate materials and components (cathode, anode, electrolytes, separator etc.) of lithium rechargeable cell
- Design and optimize proprietary anode for high performance cell
- Plan, develop and execute Design of Experiments for fabrication and testing of lithium rechargeable cells.
- Analyze the data and execute root-cause analysis of failures and develop the mitigation action based on understanding of Failure Mode Effects Analysis (DFMEA, PFMEA)
- Develop and create comprehensive technical specifications and report
- Provide engineering support to cell manufacturing teams in order to resolve manufacturing quality issues.
- Collaborate with Supplier Chain in their communication with material suppliers, related to the development and validation of detailed material specifications for new materials, and the resolution of any quality issues
- Assist with engineering-level test builds together with quality and operations personnel at manufacturing facilities.
- MS or PhD in Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Materials &, Chemical Engineering, or related field.
- At least 3+ years of industrial experience in the lithium rechargeable cells field
- Self-starting, highly taking responsibility for project improvement
- Demonstrated expertise and success in design and development of components, assemblies and formation for lithium rechargeable cells
- Hands-on experience with developing technical specifications for components, assemblies, DFMEA and 8D
- Demonstrated experience with electrochemical characterization e.g. cyclic voltammetry, impedance spectroscopy, cycle life testing, and abuse testing
- Familiarity with statistical analysis and Design of Experiments (Minitab) preferred