Senior Battery Test Engineer
SENIOR BATTERY TEST ENGINEER
Sion Power is looking for a Senior Battery Test Engineer to oversee and perform high quality measurements to support internal cell and battery development, cell manufacturing and product development.
The major responsibilities of this role is confirmation of product performance, including preparing and executing certification tests, validate and support product specifications, cell and battery design inputs, product design, verification testing and supporting design validation studies. In addition, this role include development of test plans and testing to obtain product data to support customer interactions and battery system development. This role is accountable for the prompt continuous development and in-depth knowledge of test processes that improve safety and quality of cell manufacturing.
- Setting-up, maintaining, and operating testing hardware for battery and cell test equipment temperature/humidity chambers and other fixturing
- Write test plans, develop design of experiments and summarize results in test reports
- Critical, objective, and in-depth analysis to confirm validity of test data for Lithium cell performance and abuse testing. Use test data to optimize lithium battery lifetime by adjusting usage parameters such as charge/discharge algorithms.
- Create models to simulate lithium battery performance at the beginning of life and as the cell ages.
- Effective technical writing to a broad audience.
- Skills managing multiple projects independently, and simultaneously.
- Be a member of a cross functional product development team to help determine the ideal cell chemistry and design for multiple applications.
- Proactively plans for deadlines and milestones.
- Doesn’t compromise on safety, quality, or integrity, even under pressure.
- Design and execute test procedures for performance and safety testing of Lithium metal cells and batteries supporting Sion battery cell production lines and development programs. This will further include developing customer test plans based on a products application and guiding customer through test development process, including providing result context.
- Program battery cyclers, environmental chambers, and a variety of monitoring and test equipment.
- Build out test setups and hardware, including designing and constructing test fixtures providing electrical wiring and building out data acquisition and controls systems and providing design documentation as necessary for testing.
- Responsibility for maintenance procedures, troubleshooting and calibration of lab equipment.
- Write, modify, and create laboratory instructions and test plans, sometimes based on experience and with or without customer guidance.
- Analyze testing data and prepare testing reports for internal and external customers.
- Maintain multiple testing programs (to required scope, quality, and schedule) simultaneously.
- Interact with customers on technical discussions.
- Implement and/or execute new or unique test protocols.
- Hands-on battery cell testing experience. Skilled in the use of battery test equipment or similar equipment
- Experience working with cell chemistries, understands the tradeoffs of different designs and is up to date with current technology.
- Knowledgeable about the degradation mechanisms of batteries.
Education and experience
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Engineering or similar discipline required, advanced degree preferred. Must be able to lead and mentor junior engineers, suppliers and consultants when required. Flexibility in meeting project datelines along with familiarity with applicable military, commercial and automotive standards expected.