SION POWER CORPORATION
Job Posting: Controls Engineer
Sion Power, the global leader in the development of a new generation of high-energy, rechargeable lithium batteries for portable power is currently searching for a Controls Engineer for its research and development facility in Tucson. Sion’s exciting new Licerion® technology offers significant improvements in performance over current commercial rechargeable battery technologies.
This position is responsible for the support and improvement of large coating machines and other automated manufacturing equipment. Candidates must have experience with PLC programming and HMI (LabView) software as well as a strong foundation in the electro-mechanical aspects of manufacturing equipment. Must have an in-depth knowledge of electrical engineering theory and methods, instrumentation, and current control technologies which include PLCs, motor/motor controllers (AC, Servo), user interfaces, HMI design, PLC and Industrial networks (Ethernet), I/O systems, power distribution systems (transformers, fusing, breakers, etc), electrical codes (UL, NEC, IEC, etc), computer architectures and operating systems. Responsibilities will also include the integration of all electrical systems and equipment in the company for both current and new plant layout.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrates creativity in problem solving while collaborating with Supervisor, other engineers, and manufacturing personnel to review functions of machines and equipment.
- Develops code for process flow in collaboration with process engineers.
- Maintains and optimizes HMI and machine code for capital equipment comprised of software from multiple sources.
- Hands-on during trial run of programmed machine and equipment operation to verify that operation conforms to specifications.
- Works with vendors to ensure the compatibility of all new equipment with company control and data acquisition system.
- Diagrams logic systems for functions such as sequence and timing control; also designs, drafts, and reviews schematics for installation of cell assembly machine control systems and other machines as required.
- Designs and drafts systems of electrical machines and equipment, such as assembly equipment, robots, conveyors, and programmable controllers by applying knowledge of electricity, electronics, and instrumentation
- Serves as project technical lead and may be responsible for some project management activities.
- Other duties may be assigned.
BS in Electrical or Computer Engineering and a minimum of 5 years of directly related experience is required. Must have proven experience in PLC logic and programming with Allen-
Bradley, LabView, Automation Direct, Omron, GE Fanuc, etc. Also SCADA programming and
configuration of GE Cimplicity and/or other software packages experience a plus. Panel design and layout, bill of materials, and wiring schematic capabilities are expected with this position.
English language communication skills to interact with other engineers and professionals are required. Ability to present information to small and medium sized groups.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee will be required to regularly use a PC, telephone, fax machine, copy machine, lift objects, speak, hear, and write. The employee may need to work in a dry room (~-60 °C Dew Point) for six or more hours a day. Working with potentially hazardous and/or toxic chemicals, with appropriate protective clothing and apparatus, though infrequent, is required. The employee should be able to lift and move 25 pounds and could be called upon to lift or move up to 50 pounds on occasion.
The employee will be exposed to a fast paced, ever changing environment. Needs to be able to adapt quickly, meet deadlines and goals, and work professionally and competently with all levels of employees as well as external vendors and suppliers. While performing the duties of this job the employee will work in all areas of the building.
Sion Power Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V.