Sion Power, the global leader in the development of a new generation of high-energy, rechargeable lithium batteries for portable power is currently searching for a Design Engineer for its research and development facility in Tucson. Sion’s exciting new Licerion® technology offers significant improvements in performance over current commercial rechargeable battery technologies.
Design advanced battery systems including packs and modules for use in a variety of mobile and stationary stored energy applications. Applications include UAV, UGV, and UMV, EV, and stationary power supplies.
Develop application-specific battery packs including internal and external structures, housings, sub assemblies, harnessing and retention, thermal management features (e.g., fans, ducts, vents), interfaces, and environmental compatibility features (e.g., EMC, Vibration, Humidity, Dust, Thermal).
Formally release work products (specifications, designs) into use, including appropriate internal and customer-specific sign-off and release steps.
Develop designs which meet customer-specific functional and performance requirements, while maximizing sub assembly design re-use and tool re-use.
Lead Value Engineering activities relative to mechanical design, including Design-for-Manufacturing (DFM) and Design-for-Assembly (DFA), and bench marking of existing internal and public-domain designs to incorporate best practices.
Perform NVH, mechanical shock, and durability analysis (FEA).
Optimize pack designs for power/energy density (weight and volume) as well as cost.
Develop and maintain core and application-specific engineering specifications and requirements.
Develop product validation and verification plans at the battery pack assembly level. Assist in the development of comprehensive design verification and validation, including environmental testing fixtures and acquisition systems.
Perform Technical Design Reviews within Sion Power, affiliated companies, and customers. TDRs will be expected at the Concept, Detailed Design, and Production Sign-off stages.
Lead Quality and Reliability efforts (e.g., DFMEA, Robustness Assessments, Key-Life Testing) relative to mechanical design and manufacturing. Implement processes for efficient on-going project management, including feedback of lessons learned, continuous improvement, and reuse of specifications and designs.
- Develop battery pack design concepts based on internal or customer driven requirements.
- Develop Bills-of-materials (BOM), parts drawings and specifications, and assembly instructions.
- Assist with early requirements definition; translate customer requirements into detailed hardware requirements.
- Engineer structural system solutions and specify mechanical components, materials, gages, coatings, and manufacturing processes.
- Develop structural models for CAE validation, and evaluate alternative architectures and functionality.
- Develop detailed effort estimates (time and resources), material cost estimates and project proposals.
- Work with E/E and mechanical technicians to design and build robust prototypes.
- Define and implement the mechanical hardware development & validation environment (tool sets, standards).
- Drive strict adherence to change management disciplines (change requests, version control, change validation and release).
- Lead product development and production troubleshooting efforts.
- Manage quality, reliability and failure reporting; drive closed-loop handling of all issues to ensure continuous improvement and to prevent recurrence of failures.
- Lead expansion of Corporate Best Practices and Design Guidelines for battery pack components/systems.
- Manage design and development efforts within budgeted timing and resources.
Required Experience / Education
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering required; Master’s degree or additional experience (i.e., beyond 5 years) is strongly desired.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in mechanical design, release, validation and production of battery pack systems.
- Fluent in English
- Solid modeling experience, SolidWorks preferred
- Experience working within a PDM environment
- Prior design experience in vehicle chassis, structural systems and associated mounting hardware.
- Joint analysis and fastener experience.
- Experience in part design, tooling and manufacturing for stampings, CNC bending, roll forming, hydroforming, welding, casting, composites, structural adhesives and injection molding.
- Experience in aerospace, automotive or commercial truck OEM product release processes strongly preferred, including Engineering Release, PPAP and PSW.
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) modeling and optimization experience.
- Working experience with Quality & Reliability disciplines (FMEA, 8D, APQP).
- Experience with high voltage and current (DC) electrical design is desirable.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, presentation), with ability to discuss technical material with a wide range of audiences.