Systems Engineer – Battery Pack Systems
Sion Power, the global leader in the development of a new generation of high-energy, rechargeable lithium batteries for portable power is currently searching for a Controls Engineer for its research and development facility in Tucson. Sion’s exciting new Licerion® technology offers significant improvements in performance over current commercial rechargeable battery technologies.
Lead the development of a high voltage battery system architecture, including system layout, technical specifications and component sizing.
Develop system simulations, block diagrams, 3D models, detailed schematics and interface controls documents (ICDs).
Carry out safety analysis of battery system, design for fault detection and applicable regulations.
Develop, obtain, document and disseminate the battery pack internal and customer requirements to the extended development team.
Maintain battery system Requirements Compliance Matrix (internal, customer focused, regulatory).
Develop and maintain library of relevant battery system and industry standards.
Analyze and document product specifications for various marketing trends.
Coordinate with directors and senior members and ensure appropriate utilization of resources.
Develop corporate HV safety requirements and best practices for the pack system and components.
Work closely with Mechanical and Electrical pack engineering team to ensure all requirements are met.
Develop designs which meet customer-specific functional and performance requirements, while maximizing sub-assembly design re-use and tool re-use.
Lead Value Engineering activities relative to electro-mechanical design, including Design-for-Manufacturing (DFM) and Design-for-Assembly (DFA), and benchmarking of existing internal and public-domain designs to incorporate best practices.
Responsible for the generation and approval for the DFMEA and DVP&R at the battery pack assembly or system level.
Responsible for comprehensive design verification and validation testing, including environmental testing fixtures and acquisition systems.
Perform Technical Design Reviews within Sion Power, with Sion Power affiliated companies, suppliers and customers. TDRs will be expected at the Concept, Detailed Design, and Production Sign-off stages.
Lead Quality and Reliability efforts (e.g., DFMEA, Robustness Assessments, Key-Life Testing) battery pack design and manufacturing. Implement processes for efficient on-going project management, including feedback of lessons learned, continuous improvement, and reuse of specifications and designs.
Report directly to the Director of Product Development.
- Define project requirements; translate customer requirements into detailed hardware requirements.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive list of Requirements and Compliance Matrix for each product/system manufactured by Sion Power.
- Manage generation of DFMEA, DVP&R and all design verification and product validation testing.
- Support detailed effort estimates (time and resources), material cost estimates and project proposals.
- Drive strict adherence to change management disciplines (change requests, version control, change validation and release).
- Lead product development and production troubleshooting efforts, including the overall vehicle drive system and supply base.
- Manage quality, reliability and failure reporting; drive closed-loop handling of all issues to ensure continuous improvement and to prevent recurrence of failures.
- Lead expansion of Corporate Best Practices and Design Guidelines for HV safety and electrical signal distribution systems.
- Other responsibilities and duties determined and assigned by the Vice President or Director from time to time.
- Must be a legal Resident of the United States.
- BS in EE/ME required; Master’s degree or additional experience (i.e., beyond 10 years) is strongly desired.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in design, release, validation and production of HV Battery Systems or other large, complex systems.
- Prior automotive experience in vehicle or large subsystem product development and production launch.
- Experience in aviation, automotive or commercial truck OEM product release processes strongly preferred, including Engineering Release, PPAP and PSW.
- Knowledge of Aeronautical, Automotive or Commercial Truck FMVSS and Homologation requirements strongly preferred.
- Working experience with Quality & Reliability disciplines (FMEA, 8D, APQP).
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, presentation), with ability to discuss technical
Required Experience / Education
materials with a wide range of audiences.